Welcome

Welcome to our Blog!
We hope you enjoy it !

Hear you soon!

Kiss,
Charlotte, Marlies, Leen & Lieze!

donderdag 24 februari 2011

Niger River and Sahara

Dear friends,

Your are probably worrying (especially you, mum & dad) why I haven't posted a message so far, well it's because I'm having lots of fun and it is sometimes very hard to find a decent computer out here.

Although we travel most of the time by bus, my feed were hurting a bit.  I'm guessing my teammates were sick of hearing my nagging about my feet, and that's probably why they bought me some new leather sandals. My first souvenir from the trip!




This week, we are passing through the republic of Niger. When we arrived here, I was a bit shocked. You can see clearly that  Niger is a developing country. It is ranked one of the lowest countries of the United Nation's Human Development Index (HDI). The country is threatened by periodic drought and desertification, it's so sad to see all these hungry children. There is not only a great lack of education and infrastructure, but there is also poor health care. In other words, the country is screaming for help.

If you are following our route, you know that we are travelling north, so we are now about to cross the Sahara, which is the world's largest hot desert. I'm guessing that we will be off line for some days.

Earlier this week we took a boattrip on the Niger River, which is the principal river of western Africa



There is one thing very special about this river, and that's its shape. The river is shaped like a boomerang. European geographers are doing research about the river since millions of years.

I have met some really great people during this trip, but I still miss you guys, my favorites ones! I'll keep you posted.

Lots of love,
Marlies

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten